SIAST's state-of-the-art Simulation Learning Centres (SLCs) provide hands-on experience through reality-based activities. The SLCs feature simulation hospital / trauma rooms, high-tech mannequins, simulated home settings, video monitoring and separate control rooms, plus debriefing and health assessment rooms.
Build your skills. Creating "near-life" simulation with high-tech mannequins, you will check for vital signs, heart sounds and bowel sounds, and experience features such as:
- palpable pulse, with strength dependent on patient's blood pressure
- visible respiration via patient's chest movement
- changes in skin colour and temperature in response to patient's condition
- patient's "voice" provided by faculty in the control room
Build your confidence. Dealing with a variety of "near-life" experiences builds student confidence and provides a smoother transition into the clinical components of your education. You will:
- role-play up to 120 different scenarios, from heart attacks to allergic reactions
- learn to work as a member of an interdisciplinary care team
- learn from errors in a setting that does not jeopardize patient safety
- repeat skills, apply knowledge and receive feedback from faculty in a near-life environment
SIAST: A leader in nursing and health education. The Simulated Learning Centres at SIAST are a collaborative effort involving the SIAST Health and Science Division and the Nursing Division. As the first comprehensive and advanced medical simulation labs in Saskatchewan, the SLCs are providing SIAST students with a cutting-edge educational opportunity, one that will prepare them to meet the demands of the dynamic health care field.